Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Carbon Leaf

My favorite band that you have probably never heard of. Carbon Leaf is from Virginia. The band consists of Barry Privett on vocals, Terry Clark on guitars, Carter Gravatt on guitars, Jon Markel on bass, and Jason Neal on drums. I was introduced to them by a friend that gave me a CD with both them and the band Moxy Fruvous on it. I listened to the Carbon Leaf songs and they just blew me away lyrically and musically. Their older music had a Celtic feel to it. They have since gone away from it on their later CD's but still play the songs live. This is the first band I have heard that can make a mandolin cool. They are so gracious to their fans. After every gig they hang out afterwards and talk to fans. This is after having probably drove for miles in a van to get to the gig, and then playing a two hour show. I have gotten to talk to them three times and have two signed set lists among my prized posessions.
The first video of their I am going to post is a song called "What about everything" They played a show at Virginia Tech after the shootings in 2007. It looked to be an extremely emotional show. It also shows how great they are to their fans.



The song lyrics mean a lot to me. I actually have a T-shirt from one of their shows with the lyrics to the song on it.

The second time I saw them was on my birthday. I could not have asked for a better birthday present. We got to the venue early and heard music coming out of the venue. My wife and friend and I walked in and they were doing sound check. We got to listen to them doing a song 5 feet in front of us and then got to record a video that they posted to Twitter before the show. Amazing night. Here is the video. They did a one mic version of their song "Block of Wood." Amazing. Here is the video. The people Barry is talking about in it are my wife and friend and I.



Then here is the Celtic sound that I opened up with. A song called "The Boxer"



Hope you enjoy the post and videos. They are a band close to my heart. You can follow them on Twitter @carbonleaf , and find them on the web at www.carbonleaf.com

No comments:

Post a Comment