Sunday, June 26, 2011

Spoiler review of Green Lantern

Starting with the Caveat That I am coming from a comic collectors view and know the source material very well. Having gotten this out of the way I thought it was a pretty good super hero movie. Not great. Hal Jordan is a test pilot that gets picked to wear the ring of power by a dying alien Abin Sur. I thought Ryan Reynolds looked the part of Hal Jordan, Earths first Green Lantern, but I thought there were too many times when he went back to his comic roots. Some examples of this were when he was trying to get the power ring to work for the first time. He starts by reciting his own version of the Pledge of Allegiance, and goes through the usual He-Man references as well as others. This has been used so many times in other movies and I thought it was a bit much here. I thought once he got through that, the action sequences were well done. The constructs created by the ring were great. The Lanterns were not just shooting green light at their enemies. I thought Kilowog and Tomer-Re were well done.
The other Lanterns I thought were done well. Mark Strong was excellent as Sinestro, as well as Kilowog. They looked exactly as I would have imagined them if they were real. Oa and the Guardians were done well. My biggest complaints are about who they picked as the main villains. Hector Hammond and Parallax. I thought with the recent Sinestro War that ran through the comics would have made a really good story for a movie and hopefully now that they have gotten the origin story out of the way and with the Easter Egg in the movie at the end of the credits will lead into that. Sinestro was always my favorite Green Lantern enemy. To wrap up I think for comic fans they were kind of left wanting for a better story. The visuals I would rate an A. Story C so I would average it out to a B.

No comments:

Post a Comment